Re: best practice for moving millions of rows to child table when setting up partitioning?

From: Mark Stosberg <mark(at)summersault(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: best practice for moving millions of rows to child table when setting up partitioning?
Date: 2011-05-04 16:48:44
Lists: pgsql-admin

>> 5. Finally, I'll drop the indexes on the parent table and
>> truncate it.

Luckily I noticed the problem with TRUNCATE and partitioning before my
work got to production.

TRUNCATE cascades automatically and silently to child tables, which was
not my intent.

This is mentioned here:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Table_partitioning

But is not mentioned in the official documentation for TRUNCATE:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/sql-truncate.html

The work-around we used was to put the TRUNCATE statement ahead of the
ALTER TABLE .. INHERIT statements in our final transaction.

Mark