Re: Re: Not to start a flame war but what does Oracle have that Postgresql does not?

From: Lew <noone(at)lewscanon(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: Not to start a flame war but what does Oracle have that Postgresql does not?
Date: 2011-03-26 13:16:19
Lists: pgsql-novice

On 03/23/2011 11:35 AM, Thomas Kellerer wrote:
> LWATCDR, 23.03.2011 14:58:
>> So I am wondering what features does Postgres lack to equal Oracle or
>> DB2? This is more for my own satisfaction since I can not imagine any
>> uses here that wouldn't run on a modern hexcore server with a few
>> gigabytes of ram and a raid of SATA drives.
>
> Things that Oracle has that PostgreSQL does not:
>
> - materialized views
> - Flashback queries and flashback archive
> - A lot more index types and table organization types - which are relevant in
> a DWH environment
> - RAC
> - Much better partitioning (it's a lot easier and more flexible - including
> partitioning for indexes)
> - real stored procedures (and the possibility to have transaction control in
> the stored procedure)
> - Index only scans
> - Better XML support
> - I haven't used it, but the new "Edition" feature in 11gR2 seems
> to be very cool when dealing with schema migration
> - A tool for an online redefinition of tables without the need to lock the table
> when doing the ALTER TABLE...
> - Much more monitoring tools built-in
> - no need to configure (auto) vacuum
>
> Things that Postgres has that Oracle does not:

- VARCHAR (i.e., the standard type, not Oracle's variation)
- the ability to use TEXT as an unlimited VARCHAR
- much lower licensing fees

> - transactional DDL (including TRUNCATE)
> - can use more than one index for one table in one query
> - multiple sessions sharing the same full table scan
> - better support for arrays
> - hstore module
> - Possibility to define comments on every object in the database.
> - a smaller footprint and easier to install
> - generate_series()
> - a slightly better support for windowing functions
> - The sequence implementation in Postgres is better
> (due to the fact that a column can "own" a sequence, in Oracle there is
> no way to define a dependency between a column and a sequence)
>

> I don't really know DB2, but as far as I can tell DB2's dictionary based
> compression and
> its XML support are both a lot better than in Oracle or Postgres.

Anecdotally, you can get PG to outperform Oracle in some scenarios. (I know
people who've conducted the exercise. It requires tuning for the particular
application - sometimes PG will tune better than Oracle.)

The next question is to compare Oracle to DB2. Then each of the three
against, say, SQL Server or one of the lesser-known enterprise DBMSes.

http://troels.arvin.dk/db/rdbms/
has good comparisons.

--
Lew