slow building index and reference after Sybase to Pg

From: Gary Fu <gfu(at)sigmaspace(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: slow building index and reference after Sybase to Pg
Date: 2011-02-23 18:31:58
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I'm testing on converting a big Sybase db to Pg. It took about 45 hours
to convert all sybase tables (bcp) to Pg (copy) without index and
reference. After that I built the index (one by one, sequentially) and
it took about 25 hours and then I started to add the references (one by
one), however, it has been more than 30 hours and still has no sign of
finishing. I wonder, is there any suggestion that may speed up the index
and reference building (on Pg).

Thanks,
Gary