Backup WAL files and pg_standby

From: "For(at)ll" <forall(at)stalowka(dot)info>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Backup WAL files and pg_standby
Date: 2011-02-23 16:39:39
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I looking for the best solution to backup files using WAL and warm standby.
I have 2 servers A and B. A is a main server (production) on B is runing
postgres with warm standby. I must now backup databases and WAL to tape
using a TSM, but on server standby if I using macro %r I have only few
WAL file.
How should I run a backup to guard against given events:

1) my two database servers is crashed and I must recovery database and
WAL from tape?
2) how often I must do online backup and backup WAL files?

Albert