Re: Unique constraint on only some of the rows

From: Lew <noone(at)lewscanon(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unique constraint on only some of the rows
Date: 2011-01-28 11:39:33
Lists: pgsql-novice

A B wrote:
>> If I want to create a table
>>
>> create table users (
>> id integer
>> name varchar(8)
>> enabled boolean
>> );
>>
>> and a constraint unique(id,name) but the unique constraint should
>> only be used for the enabled users, how can I do that?
>>
>> The only way I can think of is to use null values when a user is not
>> enabled and use the constraint unique(id,name,enable).

What is the meaning of the "id" column? It's unusual to see a column named
"id" that is part of a multi-column key; usually one sees it as a name for a
surrogate key.

I think you're modeling your tables wrong. You don't even have this one in
first normal form. Figure out the actual key column(s) and have "enabled" as
a dependent column only.

--
Lew
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.