Re: Question - help needed

From: Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Question - help needed
Date: 2010-11-10 08:20:41
Lists: pgsql-novice

Jayadevan M, 10.11.2010 04:31:
> Please have a look at
> http://www.liquibase.org/
> It provides scripts to make the databases consistent. You should be able
> to use it for this. We have used it with Oracle.

I second this (we use it with Postgres and Oracle).

Managing the database model should always be done through a defined process and Liquibase does help in making that easier. Especially because it "know" which changes to apply to a given database (but this requires that *all* upgrades are made through Liquibase)

We had some problems though with one or two customers where the DBA would not accept either that fact that the "script" is an XML file, nor the Liquibase generated SQL scripts. As we had to target only a single DBMS we could write our own XSLT that would transform Liquibase's format into a SQL that the DBA would accept.

Regards
Thomas