Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct
Date: 2010-04-27 11:24:30
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 7:50 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
>> It's OK in pg_start_backup(), but seems NG in pg_stop_backup() since
>> it waits until some WAL files have been archived by the archiver. No?
>
> Good point, that logic would need to be changed too. Should it simply
> return immediately if archive_mode=off?

What if we wrongly set archive_mode to on and wal_mode to minimal?
I think that checking XLogArchivingActive() in pg_stop_backup() is
adequate.

>>> No, it doesn't prevent archive recovery. It only prevents hot standby if
>>> wal_mode was not 'hot_standby' in the master. I think you missed the "&&
>>> XLogRequestRecoveryConnections" condition above.
>>
>> Even if we do only archive recovery, XLogRequestRecoveryConnections
>> might be TRUE. Or we need to ensure that the recovery_connection is
>> FALSE in the postgresql.conf before starting archive recovery?
>
> Umm, yes, if you have recovery_connnections=on, it means you want hot
> standby. And for that you need wal_mode='hot_standby'.

Since the default value of recovery_connections is TRUE, I think that
the trouble which I encountered would often happen. We should disable
recovery_connections by default? Furthermore should move it from
postgresql.conf to recovery.conf?

On the other hand, I feel that recovery_connections=on in an archive
recovery is valid configuration *until* any read only connections are
requested. How about moving the above check to postmaster or backend?

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center