Re: Which CMS/Ecommerce/Shopping cart ?

From: "Bill" <nospam(at)nospam(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Which CMS/Ecommerce/Shopping cart ?
Date: 2010-07-30 00:25:41
Lists: pgsql-general

Samantha Atkins wrote:

> Why is MySQL so much more popular right now, especially
> in the OpenSource community? As a database I find its
> architecture with multiple underlying engines and other
> quirks to be rather dubious. Then there is the issue of
> commercial licenses and exactly when you must have those
> and what it will really cost. Yet it is pretty

MySQL was available on Windows long before PostgreSQL.
MySQL has always been free for all uses, including
commercial use, for ISPs so it quickly became the database
that all ISPs/domain hosts provide and, therefore, a
popular choice for Web apps.

> ubiquitous. How come? Why isn't postgresql more on
> developer's minds when they think of OS databases?
> Amazon cloud has great scalable MySQL support but
> apparently not postgreql. Why? Is there something
> about postgresql that is bugging all these people or what?

My guess is that there are a lot of people who know of
MySQL who have never heard of PostgreSQL. Also, PostgreSQL
does not scale as well on Windows as it does on Linux/Unix.
I have talked to people who support 2,000 concurrent users
using PostgreSQL on Linux. I have been told that the limit
on Windows is about 300 concurrent users. I have no idea
how accurate that statement is. I share your surprise
because PostgreSQL is has a much more extensive feature set
than MySQL.

--
.Bill.