Re: Picking up strange queries for "pg_catalog"

From: Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Picking up strange queries for "pg_catalog"
Date: 2010-07-04 11:25:07
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Graham Leggett wrote on 04.07.2010 13:13:
> Hi all,
>
> While investigating some performance issues with a database, I have been
> analysing the database queries, and have discovered that I am getting
> thousands and thousands of queries that look like the ones below.
>
> Asking on the pgsql-general list, I was pointed in the direction of the
> jdbc driver, which in theory is making these queries, but not caching them.
>
> Does this look familiar to anybody?
>
> In addition to this, I am using the atomikos XA transaction manager,
> could this be the source of these queries?

I don't think it's the driver "making" these calls. Some of them look like they are a result of calling severl JDBC metadata API functions (e.g DatabaseMetaData.getColumns() or something similar) which in turn are not initiated by the driver, but by the client software. So I would suspect the transaction manager or your ORM library to make those calls (and thus generating the queries)

Thomas