Re: Setting up postgresql-8.3 on Debian

From: Jasen Betts <jasen(at)xnet(dot)co(dot)nz>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Setting up postgresql-8.3 on Debian
Date: 2010-05-28 10:12:36
Lists: pgsql-novice

On 2010-05-27, Machiel Richards <machielr(at)rdc(dot)co(dot)za> wrote:
> This is a multipart message in MIME format.
>
> ------=_NextPart_000_00E9_01CAFD8F.B4401650
>
> HI All
>

> In order to test the replication setup for a client, I need
> to setup posgresql 8.3 on Debian 5.

Debian releases have cute names (taken from Toy Story) 5 is Lenny (I
use it and I had to look it up, in the movie Lenny the walking binoculars)

>> I have installed Debian on 2 virtual machines and they can
> connect to one another and the internet just fine.
>

> However, when I use apt-get using the install dvd or online
> packages to setup postgresql, I don't succeed.
>

> The problem I am experiencing are as follows:
>

> . I use apt-get to install the relevant packages for postgresql-8.3

apt-get install postgresql-8.3

> . When I list /etc/postgresql directory, it is empty.

???
config files should be in /etc/postgresql/8.3/main/

> . Listing /var/lib/postgresql-8.3 it is also empty.

likewise /var/lib/postgresql-8.3/main/

> . Even when changing to postgres user, I am unable to use initdb as
> it can not be found.

mysterious... in any case the install should do the initdb for you.

> . Using psql command (command can be found) but it says that the
> database is not running or not allowing socket connections.
>
> . /etc/init.d/postgresql-8.3 start also does absolutely nothing.

> Have anybody experienced this before or perhaps know what I am doing wrong?
> Assistance would be much appreciated.

This is amd64 or i386, not something exotic, right?

what do you get from the command

dpkg -l 'postgres*'

(you can run that as any user)