Re: Using high speed swap to improve performance?

From: Lew <noone(at)lwsc(dot)ehost-services(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Using high speed swap to improve performance?
Date: 2010-04-04 21:17:26
Lists: pgsql-performance

Christiaan Willemsen wrote:
> About a year ago we setup a machine with sixteen 15k disk spindles on
> Solaris using ZFS. Now that Oracle has taken Sun, and is closing up
> Solaris, we want to move away (we are more familiar with Linux anyway).

What evidence do you have that Oracle is "closing up" Solaris?
<http://www.oracle.com/us/products/servers-storage/solaris/index.html>
and its links, particularly
<http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/10/index.jsp>
seem to indicate otherwise.

Industry analysis seems to support the continuance of Solaris, too:
<http://jeremy.linuxquestions.org/2010/02/03/oracle-sun-merger-closes/>
"... it would certainly appear that Oracle is committed to the Solaris
platform indefinitely."

More recently, less than a week ago as I write this, there was the article
<http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20100330/tc_nf/72477>
which discusses that Oracle may move away from open-sourcing Solaris, but
indicates that Oracle remains committed to Solaris as a for-pay product, and
also assesses a rosy future for Java.

--
Lew