Windows build missing tcl "UNKNOWN" support

From: "Carlo Stonebanks" <stonec(dot)register(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Windows build missing tcl "UNKNOWN" support
Date: 2010-03-31 16:52:43
Lists: pgsql-general

The Windows builds (in our case, 8.3) still seem to be missing

magic tables: pltcl_modules and pltcl_modfuncs.
scripts: pltcl_loadmod, pltcl_listmod and pltcl_delmod

In 2006 I reported this problem (see below) with the PG 8.1 Windows build.
This issue came up, and I when I looked to see if it was fixed, (my client
has updated his install to 8.3) I see that these scripts are still missing.
Another concern is "PL/Tcl call handler must be compiled
with -DPLTCL_UNKNOWN_SUPPORT set." to use the features I want.

(None of the Windows packages are compiled from source, they are the
one-click installs from the PostgreSQL site.)

Any suggestions on how to resolve this would be much appreciated!

Carlo

Original Aug 2006 post on this subject:

From the plTcl docs it appears the way for me to create function/procedure
libraries for plTcl is by implementing the "unknown" command. However, my
8.1.4 Windows-based installation doesn't seem to jibe with what the docs say
I should expect::

<<

PL/Tcl has a special support for things often used. It recognizes two magic
tables, pltcl_modules and pltcl_modfuncs.

The docs don't mention where these should be, or how to create them. Other
docs refer to scripts called: pltcl_loadmod, pltcl_listmod and pltcl_delmod
but they are nowhere to be found. Can anyone enlighten me?

<<

To enable this behavior, the PL/Tcl call handler must be compiled
with -DPLTCL_UNKNOWN_SUPPORT set.

I have a Windows-based server, and I am assuming the pre-compiled library
file pltcl.dll is supporting it - no compiling option there. How do I find
out if it was compiled with DPLTCL_UNKNOWN_SUPPORT set?