Re: 8.2.3: Server crashes on Windows using Eclipse/Junit

From: Rainer Bauer <usenet(at)munnin(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.2.3: Server crashes on Windows using Eclipse/Junit
Date: 2007-10-20 20:42:00
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

I wrote:

>You are right. I just did a quick test and depending on the handle type these
>limits are quite high. I could create 5 millions events or 4 millions
>semaphores or 3,5 millions mutexes before the system returned error 1816
>ERROR_NOT_ENOUGH_QUOTA "Not enough quota is available to process this
>command.".

[Does some further testing] The limit is high, but nonetheless Postgres is
running out of handles. Setting <max_connections> to 10000 and starting
postgres _without_ any connection consumes 40000 handles. This correspodends
to the 4 Postgres processes running after the server was started. Every new
connection consumes another 10000 handles.

I don't know the Postgres code involved, but it seems that every backend
consumes at least <max_connections> handles. Hence increasing this value will
have the opposite effect once a certain threshold is met.

Rainer