Re: getUdateCount() vs. RETURNING clause

From: Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: getUdateCount() vs. RETURNING clause
Date: 2009-11-25 14:03:43
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Oliver Jowett, 25.11.2009 14:42:
> You never call getMoreResults(), so you are only looking at a single
> result, which is either a resultset or an update count, never both.
[...]
Hmm, sorry I missed that in my initial email then. I did call getMoreResults()

The following still returns false for getMoreResults()

PreparedStatement pstmt = con.prepareStatement(update);
pstmt.setInt(1, 1);
boolean hasResult = pstmt.execute();

if (hasResult ) {
ResultSet rs = pstmt.getResultSet();
if (rs != null && rs.next()) {
int newId = rs.getInt(1);
System.out.println("newid: " + newId);
}
}
boolean more = pstmt.getMoreResults(); // returns false

> You may have more success using something like this:
>
>> PreparedStatement pstmt = con.prepareStatement("UPDATE something with no RETURNING clause", new String[] { "some_column" });
>> int updateCount = pstmt.executeUpdate();
>> ResultSet results = pstmt.getGeneratedKeys();

That indeed works!

But I still think the behaviour with getMoreResults() is - at least - confusing ;)

Thanks a lot for all your patience!

Thomas