pgAgent Windows service startup time

From: "Dmitry Samokhin" <sdld(at)mail(dot)ru>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pgAgent Windows service startup time
Date: 2009-09-17 07:03:18
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hello,

The first time I tried to setup the pgAgent job scheduler on Windows I was
wondered the service couldn't start for a very long time. Further
investigation shown that the 'poll time interval' executable parameter (-t)
affects startup time. Moreover, startup time directly reflects this
parameter. At first, I set (-t 600) meaning I want the pgAgent poll my
server ones every 10 minutes. Having sent the 'start' control to the service
I had at last to kill the process, because it was remaining in the
'Starting' state for several minutes. But leaving the '-t' parameter to
default (10 seconds) caused the service to start exactly in 10 seconds! And
so on.
I doubt it's a feature; what if I want to poll a PostgreSQL server every
day? pgAgent will be starting during a whole day?

Both PostgreSQL and pgAgent services are running on Windows Server 2003
Standard Edition SP2.
PostgreSQL 8.3.7
pgAgent 3.0.0 (as of Mar 2009)

Regards,