Re: PosgreSQL Service does not Start In Vista

From: Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PosgreSQL Service does not Start In Vista
Date: 2009-09-02 15:32:51
Lists: pgsql-general

Inigo Barandiaran, 02.09.2009 14:53:
> Thanks Thomas!.
> That sounds very interesting. How can I set privileges for writing in data
> directory for the postgres user account?.
Right click on the directory and choose "Security". Anything after that is off-topic in this list ;)

> Or is it very to directly install
> posgreSQL out of "Program Files" Directory?

Putting application data into "Program Files" is a very bad idea in general, not only for Postgres.
I'm not sure if the current installer still suggests this, but this was a major flaw in the installers I have used before. The installer does offer the possibility to change this, but how many people really take the time to read the wizard pages?

Thomas