Re: postgres wish list

From: Jasen Betts <jasen(at)xnet(dot)co(dot)nz>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgres wish list
Date: 2009-02-20 09:50:25
Lists: pgsql-general

On 2009-02-19, Sameer Mahajan <Sameer_Mahajan(at)symantec(dot)com> wrote:
> Thanks Craig.
>
> Comments inline.
>

> [Sameer Mahajan] I will investigate how the unix domain sockets help in
> my case. Why isn't it the default for postgres installations? Or it
> isn't believed to be generic enough / straight forward enough to
> configure?

it is enabled by default, but if you specify a host address when
connecting (eg 127.0.0.1) you'll get a TCP/IP connection instead.

by the default authentication for unix domain sockets is "ident" which
(AIUI) requires the caller have the a unix username that matches their
postgres username, but you can change that to "md5" (password based)
or "trust" (no authentication) in pg_hba.conf