Re: Trigger to clone across databases?

From: Jasen Betts <jasen(at)xnet(dot)co(dot)nz>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Trigger to clone across databases?
Date: 2009-01-17 21:28:05
Lists: pgsql-general

On 2009-01-17, Darren Govoni <darren(at)ontrenet(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm looking for a trigger (any language) that can clone the inserted
> row and insert it in another postgres server elsewhere. Is this
> possible? Practical? Thoughts?
>
> I know there are some replication systems out there, but I'm hoping a
> simple trigger will suffice since I only need to clone one row at a time
> on insert.

that can probably be done (using C for instance) , but do you really want the
penalty of every insert waiting for a connection to be established to the
remote server?

some other systems use the trigger to insert the nes column into holding a table
and trigger a notify,

then a separate application waiting for the notify retreives the row
and inserts it onto the remote server.