Re: Separate Sessions?? (View data <-> Query tool)

From: Csaba Együd <csegyud(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Separate Sessions?? (View data <-> Query tool)
Date: 2008-11-26 10:17:34
Lists: pgadmin-support pgsql-general

""Dave Page"" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> a következoket írta üzenetében
On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 5:37 AM, Csaba Együd <csegyud(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

In the 10+ years of pgAdmin, no-one has ever asked to have additional
SQL run by the View Data tool - what would be the point? You wouldn't
be able to have it create the temp table you want to view because you
need to know what table to view before you run the tool.

If you need that level of flexibility, then use the query tool where
you can create and use the temp table in one session. Failing that, if
you really want to use multiple tools on the same temp table, you'll
need to get someone in the community to implement global temp tables -
though really they're exactly the same as any other table (pretty much
the whole point of the temp table is that it's session-specific, and
isn't accessed through shared memory like regular tables).

--
Dave Page

OK, I understand now. :)

BTW, is it that weird way to define a session wide temp table storing some
session specific information to generate e.g. views based on that? The only
thing I wanted to have a more comfortable tool to modify a few fields in the
table then having to compose SQL statements in the query tool. The problem
is that my triggers refuse modifying a record if a given Temp table is not
created before, because one or more fields have their default values from
that temp table.

I agree that running an SQL before viewing data in table view would be a bit
silly. But I could think something like a new per server connection property
in which I could define a single SQL sentence which would be automatically
run after a connection is successfully established. It could be like modem
initialization commands or something like that. Of course it could be empty
by default...

Thank you,

-- Csaba Együd