Re: connect to psql without passwd

From: "Milen A(dot) Radev" <milen(at)radev(dot)net>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: connect to psql without passwd
Date: 2008-11-03 21:47:19
Lists: pgsql-admin

Isabella Ghiurea написа:
> I'm writing a shell script to run analyze and other jobs as use
> postgres, having issues passing the passwd in psql is always asking for
> password, I'm using .pgpass file as argument in psql ( I understood
> PGPASS is depreciated). My .pgpass file contains only the passwd string
> not the full connection string9 hostname, port etc) since this is local
> connection , but is always asking for passwd, using :PG ver 8.3, RH 5,
> The script contains something like :
> Home=
> PSQL=
> PGDATA=
> export HOME, PSQL, PGDATA etc
> (cat $HOME/.pgpass
> cat << EOF
> REINDEX database test
> ;
> EOF
> ) | $PSQL -U postgres -d test > /var/lib/pgsql//reindex.log

You need to re-read the relevant page from the manual
(http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/libpq-pgpass.html). You don't
need to supply the content of the file - psql (and all other programmes based
on libpq) will look for it at a predefined place and use it if a few conditions
are met (correct permissions on the file, correct syntax, etc).

--
Milen A. Radev