low performance on functions returning setof record

From: "Sabin Coanda" <sabin(dot)coanda(at)deuromedia(dot)ro>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: low performance on functions returning setof record
Date: 2008-10-09 14:47:30
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi there,

I use different functions returning setof record, and they are working well.
The problem is the performance when I use those functions in joins, for
instance:

SELECT *
FROM "Table1" t1
JOIN "Function1"( a1, a2, ... aN ) AS f1( ColA int4, ColB
varchar, ... )
ON t1.ColX = f1.ColA

The problem is I'm not able to make indexes on the function, even inside I
have just another select statement from different permanent tables, with
some where clauses depending on the function arguments.

Do you know a way to build such a function, returning something I can join
in an outer select statement like above, using indexes or another way to run
it faster ?

TIA,
Sabin