Re: Best hardware/cost tradoff?

From: cluster <skrald(at)amossen(dot)dk>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Best hardware/cost tradoff?
Date: 2008-08-28 21:29:09
Lists: pgsql-performance

Thanks for all your replies! They are enlightening. I have some
additional questions:

1) Would you prefer
a) 5.4k 2" SATA RAID10 on four disks or
b) 10k 2" SAS RAID1 on two disks?
(Remember the lots (!) of random reads)

2) Should I just make one large partition of my RAID? Does it matter at all?

3) Will I gain much by putting the OS on a saparate disk, not included
in the RAID? (The webserver and database would still share the RAID -
but I guess the OS will cache my (small) web content in RAM anyway).

Thanks again!