Re: Execution-time-sensitive timestamp regression tests

From: Rainer Bauer <usenet(at)munnin(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Execution-time-sensitive timestamp regression tests
Date: 2008-05-24 22:01:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Magnus Hagander wrote:

>For the record, what we were talking about was snapshotting the time at
>backend start and then use QueryPerformanceCounter() to see what
>happened and do some calculation.

Although this might not be such a big issue for the regression tests:
Be aware that the reliability of QueryPerformanceCounter() depends on the
hardware: <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/274323/en-us>

I used it in Munnin, but there were too many customer machines affected by
this bug so that I had to abandom it. This was a few years ago, but I'm not
sure whether the function can be trusted today (see for example this
performance problem <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/895980/en-us>).

Rainer