Re: Simple row serialization?

From: Ivan Voras <ivoras(at)freebsd(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Simple row serialization?
Date: 2008-01-26 18:32:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Why not create the audit tables with composite types rather than strings?
>
> create table audit_foo_table as (who text, when timestamptz, old foo,
> new foo);

Because this would lead to having a log/shadow/audit table for every
table I wish to log. (or is there an opaque "generic row" data type?
"record" and "any" generate syntax errors).

> Or you could use an hstore (see contrib).

Doesn't seem applicable.

> Or you could possibly use some of the XML support in 8.3 for serialization.

I need this for 8.1 :)

> This is a usage question, so it really doesn't belong on -hackers.

Thank you - I'm reading the list through gmane and I didn't notice its
name "gmane.comp.db.postgresql.devel.general" is incorrect. I'll find a
more suitable list.