Re: How to keep at-most N rows per group? periodic DELETEs or constraints or..?

From: "codeWarrior" <gpatnude(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to keep at-most N rows per group? periodic DELETEs or constraints or..?
Date: 2008-01-08 17:53:57
Lists: pgsql-sql

Jamie:

I think you are probably having slowdown issues in your "DELETE FROM WHERE
NOT IN SELECT ORDER BY DESCENDING" construct -- that seems a bit convoluted
to me....

NOT IN is what is probably slowing you down the most....

ALSO: It looks to me like you have a column named "timestamp' ??? This is
bad practice since "timestamp" is a reserved word... You really ought NOT to
use reserved words for column names... different debate.

Why bother deleting records anyway ? Why not alter your query that tracks
the 50 records to LIMIT 50 ???