Re: Query only slow on first run

From: cluster <skrald(at)amossen(dot)dk>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Query only slow on first run
Date: 2007-11-28 20:16:08
Lists: pgsql-performance

>> I'm wondering why --- doesn't seem like it should take 6400msec to fetch
>> 646 rows, unless perhaps the data is just horribly misordered relative
>> to the index. Which may in fact be the case ...

Hmm, actually I still don't understand why it takes 6400 ms to fetch the
rows. As far as I can see the index used is "covering" so that real row
lookups shouldn't be necessary. Also, only the the random_numbers
induces by questions with status = 1 should be considered - and this
part is a relatively small subset.

In general, I don't understand why the query is so I/O dependant as it
apparently is.