Re: TB-sized databases

From: Matthew <matthew(at)flymine(dot)org>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: TB-sized databases
Date: 2007-11-28 17:34:37
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007, Simon Riggs wrote:
> statement_cost_limit on pgsql-hackers, 1 March 2006
>
> Would people like me to re-write and resubmit this patch for 8.4?

Yes please. The more options, the better.

> Tom's previous concerns were along the lines of "How would know what to
> set it to?", given that the planner costs are mostly arbitrary numbers.
>
> Any bright ideas, or is it we want it and we don't care about the
> possible difficulties?

I think this is something that the average person should just knuckle down
and work out.

At the moment on my work's system, we call EXPLAIN before queries to find
out if it will take too long. This would improve performance by stopping
us having to pass the query into the query planner twice.

Matthew

--
An ant doesn't have a lot of processing power available to it. I'm not trying
to be speciesist - I wouldn't want to detract you from such a wonderful