Re: Improve documentation for pg_upgrade, standbys and rsync

From: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Improve documentation for pg_upgrade, standbys and rsync
Date: 2022-04-06 10:35:55
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 2022-04-05 at 12:38 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> Also, let me express my general terror at the idea of anyone actually
> using this procedure.

I did, and I couldn't get it to work with absolute paths, and using
relative paths seemed to me to be more intuitive anyway, hence the patch.

Originally that was the only change I wanted to make to the documentation,
but you know how it is: as soon as you touch something like this, someone
will (rightly so) prod you and say "while you change this, that other
thing there should also be improved", and the patch gets more
and more invasive.

I agree with the scariness of this, but I prefer to have it in the
documentation anyway; at least as long as we have nothing better (which
is always the enemy of the good).

Yours,
Laurenz Albe