Re: Finding the bin path

From: Rob Jaeger <yogirob(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Finding the bin path
Date: 2009-12-27 06:12:06
Lists: pgsql-general

I was not clear in my initial question. I need to access the pg_dump.exe and
pg_restore.exe files from within a c++ program. I can't execute
pg_config.exe because it's in that bin that I'm seeking.

I don't quite follow Greg Smith's reply of 'try guess based on "which
postmaster"' (can you clarify?)

But - I think I have found what I need! I can do a "SHOW data_directory;"
and then from there I can snoop inside the postmaster.opts file to get the
bin path. The question I have now is - is this method safe? Is this file
present in all platform data directories. (I'm using Win7)

Thanks to everyone who replied. I really do appreciate this community. - Rob