Re: pread, pwrite, etc return ssize_t not int

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pread, pwrite, etc return ssize_t not int
Date: 2024-03-01 14:12:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 27.02.24 12:21, Thomas Munro wrote:
> Patches attached.
>
> PS Correction to my earlier statement about POSIX: the traditional K&R
> interfaces were indeed in the original POSIX.1 1988 but it was the
> 1990 edition (approximately coinciding with standard C) that adopted
> void, size_t, const and invented ssize_t.

0001-Return-ssize_t-in-fd.c-I-O-functions.patch

This patch looks correct to me.

0002-Fix-theoretical-overflow-in-Windows-pg_pread-pg_pwri.patch

I have two comments on that:

For the overflow of the input length (size_t -> DWORD), I don't think we
actually need to do anything. The size argument would be truncated, but
the callers would just repeat the calls with the remaining size, so in
effect they will read the data in chunks of rest + N * DWORD_MAX. The
patch just changes this to chunks of N * 1GB + rest.

The other issue, the possible overflow of size_t -> ssize_t is not
specific to Windows. We could install some protection against that on
some other layer, but it's unclear how widespread that issue is or what
the appropriate fix is. POSIX says that passing in a size larger than
SSIZE_MAX has implementation-defined effect. The FreeBSD man page says
that this will result in an EINVAL error. So if we here truncate
instead of error, we'd introduce a divergence.