Re: Replication Syatem

From: "Radhika S" <radhika(dot)sambamurti(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Replication Syatem
Date: 2008-04-28 20:58:59
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 9:38 AM, Gauri Kanekar
<meetgaurikanekar(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> All,
>
> We have a table "table1" which get insert and updates daily in high numbers,
> bcoz of which its size is increasing and we have to vacuum it every
> alternate day. Vacuuming "table1" take almost 30min and during that time the
> site is down.

Slony is an open source replication system built for Postgres.
But the real problem is that you are doing a vaccum full every day.
This is highly invasive.
Take a look at the postgres docs on Vacuuming the db. Analyze is best
on a daily basis. If you have a lot of deletes, then try vacuum
truncate.

The postgres documentation describes the various vaccuum options and
explains the merits of each.

Hope that helps.
Radhika

--
It is all a matter of perspective. You choose your view by choosing
where to stand. --Larry Wall