Re: pg_upgrade can result in early wraparound on databases with high transaction load

From: "Drouvot, Bertrand" <bdrouvot(at)amazon(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Jason Harvey <jason(at)reddit(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, "Tharakan, Robins" <thararamazoncom(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade can result in early wraparound on databases with high transaction load
Date: 2021-05-04 08:17:49
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 4/24/21 3:00 AM, Andres Freund wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2021-04-23 19:28:27 -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:
>> This (combination of) thread(s) seems relevant.
>>
>> Subject: pg_upgrade failing for 200+ million Large Objects
>> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/12601596dbbc4c01b86b4ac4d2bd4d48%40EX13D05UWC001.ant.amazon.com
>> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/a9f9376f1c3343a6bb319dce294e20ac%40EX13D05UWC001.ant.amazon.com
>> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/cc089cc3-fc43-9904-fdba-d830d8222145%40enterprisedb.com#3eec85391c6076a4913e96a86fece75e
> Huh. Thanks for digging these up.
>

>>> Allows the user to provide a constant via pg_upgrade command-line, that
>>> overrides the 2 billion constant in pg_resetxlog [1] thereby increasing the
>>> (window of) Transaction IDs available for pg_upgrade to complete.
> That seems the entirely the wrong approach to me, buying further into
> the broken idea of inventing random wrong values for oldestXid.
>
> We drive important things like the emergency xid limits off oldestXid. On
> databases with tables that are older than ~147million xids (i.e. not even
> affected by the default autovacuum_freeze_max_age) the current constant leads
> to setting the oldestXid to a value *in the future*/wrapped around. Any
> different different constant (or pg_upgrade parameter) will do that too in
> other scenarios.
>
> As far as I can tell there is precisely *no* correct behaviour here other than
> exactly copying the oldestXid limit from the source database.

Please find attached a patch proposal doing so: it adds a new (- u)
parameter to pg_resetwal that allows to specify the oldest unfrozen XID
to set.
Then this new parameter is being used in pg_upgrade to copy the source
Latest checkpoint's oldestXID.

Questions:

* Should we keep the old behavior in case -x is being used without -u?
(The proposed patch does not set an arbitrary oldestXID anymore in
case -x is used.)
* Also shouldn't we ensure that the xid provided with -x or -u is >=
FirstNormalTransactionId (Currently the only check is that it is # 0)?

I'm adding this patch to the commitfest.

Bertrand

Attachment Content-Type Size
v1-0001-pg-upgrade-keep-oldestxid.patch text/plain 8.6 KB