Re: Default to TIMESTAMP WITH TIME ZONE?

From: Gavin Flower <GavinFlower(at)archidevsys(dot)co(dot)nz>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Default to TIMESTAMP WITH TIME ZONE?
Date: 2021-08-13 07:33:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 13/08/21 5:14 pm, Greg Stark wrote:
> I think having a GUC to change to a different set of semantics is not workable.
>
> However that doesn't mean we can't do anything. We could have a GUC
> that just disables allowing creating columns of type timestamp without
> tz. That could print an error with a hint suggesting you can change
> the variable if you really want to allow them.
>
> I still would hesitate to make it the default but admins could set it
> to help their developers.

[...]

I always use the tz version, except when I forget.  Initially, I was
totally unaware of the need & usefulness of storing time in tz. So I
would use the GUC.

Suspect that it is extremely rare when one would not want to use the TZ
option, which suggests to me that using TZ should be the default.

Cheers,
Gavin