Re: BUG #3699: Fails to compile DTrace Support

From: Robert Lor <Robert(dot)Lor(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: Lee Packham <lpackham(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #3699: Fails to compile DTrace Support
Date: 2007-10-26 14:01:42
Lists: pgsql-bugs

From: Lee Packham <lpackham(at)gmail(dot)com>

> I have built a patch to enable a working DTrace on OSX with Postgres 8.2.5.
> Basically the problem is that the dtrace command on OSX doesn't have
> the -G
> parameter - so you have to use the newer -h method to produce a header
> file.

It bothers me that the Apple's Dtrace port doesn't have the -G flag. We chose the current approach for simplicity and at the same time allowing us to easily introduce a generic framework so other OSes can plug in a similar tool if needed. I have yet to review your patch in detail, but I hope it doesn't break this generic framework. More later...

-Robert