Re: Query hanging/not finishing inconsistently

From: "Meetesh Karia" <meetesh(dot)karia(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Craig A(dot) James" <cjames(at)modgraph-usa(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Jean-David Dahan" <jd(dot)dahan(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Query hanging/not finishing inconsistently
Date: 2006-06-20 17:25:19
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi all,

I just saw another email on the mailing list to this effect as well. We
recently updated the kernel versions on our machines to the latest stable
versions (which contained both HyperThreading and IO bug fixes) and we
updated Postgres to version 8.0.8. We thought we were in the clear when we
didn't encounter a hang for 6+ days. But, once again we ran into the same
situation where a query that normally executes in ~15ms wouldn't finish. As
before, there were no ungranted locks and threads weren't waiting on a
lock. I attached gdb to one of the stuck postgres processes and got the
following stack trace:

#0 0x008967a2 in _dl_sysinfo_int80 () from /lib/ld-linux.so.2
#1 0x00977e5b in semop () from /lib/tls/libc.so.6
#2 0x08167298 in PGSemaphoreLock ()
#3 0x0818bcb5 in LWLockAcquire ()
#4 0x080a47f5 in SimpleLruWritePage ()
#5 0x080a48ad in SimpleLruReadPage ()
#6 0x080a519a in SubTransGetParent ()
#7 0x080a51f2 in SubTransGetTopmostTransaction ()
#8 0x0821371c in HeapTupleSatisfiesSnapshot ()
#9 0x080822a2 in heap_release_fetch ()
#10 0x080880fb in index_getnext ()
#11 0x08128507 in ExecReScanHashJoin ()
#12 0x08122a09 in ExecScan ()
#13 0x081287f9 in ExecIndexScan ()
#14 0x0811dfdd in ExecProcNode ()
#15 0x0812a49f in ExecNestLoop ()
#16 0x0811df9d in ExecProcNode ()
#17 0x0812b74d in ExecSort ()
#18 0x0811df5d in ExecProcNode ()
#19 0x0812b941 in ExecUnique ()
#20 0x0811df2c in ExecProcNode ()
#21 0x0811ce18 in ExecutorRun ()
#22 0x081947ec in PortalSetResultFormat ()
#23 0x08194df4 in PortalRun ()
#24 0x08192ef7 in PostgresMain ()
#25 0x08169780 in ClosePostmasterPorts ()
#26 0x0816b0ae in PostmasterMain ()
#27 0x0813a5a6 in main ()

We then upgraded glibc to 2.3.4-2.19 but we encountered the problem within a
day. Our latest attempt at isolating the problem has been to reboot the
machine with a 'noht' kernel param. The machine has been up for 1 day,
13:18 since then and we haven't seen the problem yet.

Has anyone been able to solve this problem?

Thanks,
Meetesh