Re: Add --check option to pgindent

From: "Euler Taveira" <euler(at)eulerto(dot)com>
To: "Michael Banck" <mbanck(at)gmx(dot)net>, "Daniel Gustafsson" <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Cc: "Tristan Partin" <tristan(at)neon(dot)tech>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add --check option to pgindent
Date: 2023-12-12 11:47:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Dec 12, 2023, at 7:28 AM, Michael Banck wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 12, 2023 at 11:18:59AM +0100, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
> > > On 12 Dec 2023, at 01:09, Tristan Partin <tristan(at)neon(dot)tech> wrote:
> > >
> > > Not sold on the name, but --check is a combination of --silent-diff
> > > and --show-diff. I envision --check mostly being used in CI
> > > environments. I recently came across a situation where this behavior
> > > would have been useful. Without --check, you're left to capture the
> > > output of --show-diff and exit 2 if the output isn't empty by
> > > yourself.
> >
> > I wonder if we should model this around the semantics of git diff to
> > keep it similar to other CI jobs which often use git diff? git diff
> > --check means "are there conflicts or issues" which isn't really
> > comparable to here, git diff --exit-code however is pretty much
> > exactly what this is trying to accomplish.
> >
> > That would make pgindent --show-diff --exit-code exit with 1 if there
> > were diffs and 0 if there are no diffs.
>
> To be honest, I find that rather convoluted; contrary to "git diff", I
> believe the primary action of pgident is not to show diffs, so I find
> the proposed --check option to be entirely reasonable from a UX
> perspective.
>
> On the other hand, tying a "does this need re-indenting?" question to a
> "--show-diff --exit-code" option combination is not very obvious (to me,
> at least).

Multiple options to accomplish a use case might not be obvious. I'm wondering
if we can combine it into a unique option.

--show-diff show the changes that would be made
--silent-diff exit with status 2 if any changes would be made
+ --check combination of --show-diff and --silent-diff

I mean

--diff=show,silent,check

When you add exceptions, it starts to complicate the UI.

usage("Cannot have both --silent-diff and --show-diff")
if $silent_diff && $show_diff;

+usage("Cannot have both --check and --show-diff")
+ if $check && $show_diff;
+
+usage("Cannot have both --check and --silent-diff")
+ if $check && $silent_diff;
+

--
Euler Taveira