Re: Do we work with LLVM 12 on s390x?

From: Honza Horak <hhorak(at)redhat(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Tom Stellard <tstellar(at)redhat(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Do we work with LLVM 12 on s390x?
Date: 2021-04-21 13:40:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 3/19/21 8:15 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I think the error above comes from a "mismatch" between the clang used
>> to compile bitcode, and the LLVM version linked to. Normally we're
>> somewhat tolerant of differences between the two, but there was an ABI
>> change at some point, leading to that error. IIRC I hit that, but it
>> vanished as soon as I used a matching libllvm and clang.
>
> Thanks, I passed that advice on.
>
> regards, tom lane

Tom Stellard was so kind to look at this issue deeper with his LLVM
skills and found PostgreSQL is not actually handling the LLVM perfectly.
He's working on improving the patch, but sharing even the first attempt
with upstream seems like a good idea:

https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/postgresql/pull-request/29

Regards,
Honza