Re: Connect to specific cluster on command line

From: Carsten Klein <c(dot)klein(at)datagis(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Connect to specific cluster on command line
Date: 2022-05-25 14:48:55
Lists: pgsql-general

> pg_lsclusters is not part of core Postgres, and neither is this
> --cluster option you mention. I'm vaguely aware that some packager
> (Debian I think) has added an overlay of that sort; but you'd need
> to consult the package-level documentation not the community docs
> in order to find out more.

Sorry, my fault, it's Debian/Ubuntu. Actually they must have added the
--cluster option to the PG programs through source code patches...

So, forget about the packager. With core PostgreSQL tools it is possible
to have more than one cluster. How do you specify what cluster to
connect to with psql or pg_dump? Do I have to specify the cluster's
corresponding Unix domain socket directory via the --host option?

Regards, Carsten