Logically replicated table has no visible rows

From: Jeff Ross <jross(at)openvistas(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Logically replicated table has no visible rows
Date: 2022-05-31 17:46:52
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

We have a logically replicated table on RDS that is 39 G in size on both
the publisher (10.21) and the subscriber (12.8).

The replication slots on the publisher are all marked as active and the
lsns are current so no lag.

Other tables on the subscriber side are also identical in size and have
no problem with queries against them.

We did a vacuum full on the subscriber table and the size dropped to a
couple hundred MBs and is growing but still has no visible rows.

Now on the publisher I see a temporary replication slot so I'm guessing
that in reality replication had not finished and that's why the
load_events table was full sized but had no visible rows?

At this point I guess my questions are does my hunch that replication
hadn't completely finished is the root cause of what we saw make sense?

I've always used both the lsns and the lack of temporary replication
slots to tell when logical replication had finished--is there a more
authoritative way to do so?

Thanks,

Jeff