Re: converting older databases

From: Sathish Duraiswamy <sathish(at)leatherlink(dot)net>
To: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
Cc: Heine Ferreira <heine(dot)ferreira(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: converting older databases
Date: 2009-03-05 19:35:15
Lists: pgsql-general

hai

Recently we migrated our database from 8.2.4 to 8.2.12 , went through
manuals and followed the below steps

1.pg_dumpall to take data dump of current database
2.stopped database
3.moved the pgsql to backup folder
4.downloaded 8.2.12 , configured - gmake - gmake install
5.recreated cluster directory
6.restored the database with datadump

It was like complete re-installation process.

Can anyone explain a alternative method to upgrade a existing database

thanks in advance

regards
sathish