Re: Why don't we have a small reserved OID range for patch revisions?

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Why don't we have a small reserved OID range for patch revisions?
Date: 2019-02-27 09:59:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2019-02-08 19:14, Tom Lane wrote:
> Quite a few people have used OIDs up around 8000 or 9000 for this purpose;
> I doubt we need a formally reserved range for it. The main problem with
> doing it is the hazard that the patch'll get committed just like that,
> suddenly breaking things for everyone else doing likewise.

For that reason, I'm not in favor of this. Forgetting to update the
catversion is already common enough (for me). Adding another step
between having a seemingly final patch and being able to actually commit
it doesn't seem attractive. Moreover, these "final adjustments" would
tend to require a full rebuild and retest, adding even more overhead.

OID collision doesn't seem to be a significant problem (for me).