Re: CREATE DATABASE on the heap with PostgreSQL?

From: lbrtchx(at)hotmail(dot)com (Albretch)
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org(dot)pgsql-hackers"(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: CREATE DATABASE on the heap with PostgreSQL?
Date: 2004-06-07 10:34:58
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Gaetano Mendola <mendola(at)bigfoot(dot)com> wrote in message news:<40C365E0(dot)6090905(at)bigfoot(dot)com>...
> If you access a table more frequently then other and you have enough
> RAM your OS will mantain that table on RAM, don't you think ?
> BTW if you trust on your UPS I'm sure you are able to create a RAM
> disk and place that table in RAM.
>

> Regards
> Gaetano Mendola

RAMdisks still need a hard disk drive to operate. I am talking here
about entirely diskless configurations.

Well, maybe as I suspected there is no technical explanation why this
design decision has been made.

When I have more time I will run a bechmark to check to which extent
it does make a difference. I mean running the application from RAM and
letting the DBMS know about it instead of letting the OS figure it
out.