Re: pg_dump shared locks documentation

From: Florin Irion <irionr(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump shared locks documentation
Date: 2022-03-15 22:21:41
Lists: pgsql-docs

On 15/03/22 16:55, Tom Lane wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org> writes:
>> This might be a bit excessive to have in the main text. What about
>> adding a footnote to point out the exact lock level that is meant, with
>> a link to the server doc page that explains each lock level?
>
> I dunno how well <footnote> will render in man-page format.
> How about just inserting a parenthetical remark at the first usage?
>
> ... leader process requests shared locks (ACCESS SHARE) on the ...
>
> Possibly we could make the "ACCESS SHARE" be a <link> without causing
> problems in man format.
>
> regards, tom lane

Makes sense.
I tried the footnote and in fact, it doesn't render well in the man page. It just adds a blank line(at least how I tried it).

So, I made the link to ACCESS SHARE, pointing to section 13.3.1. "Table-Level Locks" , was this what you had in mind?

V2 attached.

Thank you for looking into this.
Florin Irion

Attachment Content-Type Size
v2-0001-Specify-correctly-the-locks-pg_dump-takes.patch text/plain 1.4 KB