Re: Memory-Bounded Hash Aggregation

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Memory-Bounded Hash Aggregation
Date: 2019-07-04 01:07:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 2019-07-01 at 12:13 -0700, Jeff Davis wrote:
> This is for design review. I have a patch (WIP) for Approach 1, and
> if
> this discussion starts to converge on that approach I will polish and
> post it.

WIP patch attached (based on 9a81c9fa); targeting September CF.

Not intended for detailed review yet, but it seems to work in enough
cases (including grouping sets and JIT) to be a good proof-of-concept
for the algorithm and its complexity.

Initial performance numbers put it at 2X slower than sort for grouping
10M distinct integers. There are quite a few optimizations I haven't
tried yet and quite a few tunables I haven't tuned yet, so hopefully I
can close the gap a bit for the small-groups case.

I will offer more details soon when I have more confidence in the
numbers.

It does not attempt to spill ARRAY_AGG at all yet.

Regards,
Jeff Davis

Attachment Content-Type Size
hashagg-20190703.patch text/x-patch 46.4 KB