Re: Contrib: alternative MATERIALIZED VIEWs

From: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)BlueTreble(dot)com>
To: Nico Williams <nico(at)cryptonector(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Contrib: alternative MATERIALIZED VIEWs
Date: 2017-01-24 00:05:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 1/23/17 5:38 PM, Nico Williams wrote:
> Attached is an alternative implementation of MATERIALIZED VIEWs.

Interesting. I don't see this being accepted into core because it's
plpgsql and it depends on the user to track what criteria to use to
apply the update. The second item is the biggest issue.

That said, I think this would be useful to some people as an extension.
I suggest you put it on github (or equivalent) and upload it to
http://pgxn.org.

In terms of community support, the next step is to get statement-level
support for NEW and OLD, something I think Kevin has been working on.
855-TREBLE2 (855-873-2532)