Re: can i install and run two diferent versions of postgresql

From: "Guido Barosio" <gbarosio(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "jorge alberto" <jorge(dot)is(dot)a(dot)geek(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: can i install and run two diferent versions of postgresql
Date: 2006-11-16 00:59:04
Lists: pgsql-novice

Basically you need to explore the initdb command, which will create a
new pgsql data structure, where you can find all the files that
belong to the *cluster* , the database per se. You will also find here
your new postgresql.conf file, where you should change the port
(defaults 5432) for a convenient one, not being used by another
process.

Obviously, if you are going to try this, extremelly easy stuff if you
are familiarized, you should first go and read some man pages, and
find an arena place where to play, rather than firing this into your
production box :)

Hint: unset $PGDATA before running initdb or any commands once you´ve
got two postgresql locations in your server.

Best wishes,
g.-

--
Guido Barosio