Re: 7.4 <-> 8.0

From: Guido Barosio <gbarosio(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: snelling(at)email(dot)marc(dot)usda(dot)gov
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 7.4 <-> 8.0
Date: 2005-09-15 20:35:40
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi Warren
On the space issue, seems at a first sight that the old db needs a vacuum
full to free some room.
Try to identify your biggest tables, isolate the vacuum against them, and
then escalate to the whole db, with a vacuum full.
Thinking that you should double check the vacuum documentation, to
understand better which are the effects of the different vacuum modes. This
will clear out your doubts on why such amount of space is being allocated,
but not being used.
My two cents there.
Best wishes,
Guido.

--
"Adopting the position that you are smarter than an automatic
optimization algorithm is generally a good way to achieve less