Re: Add documentation for coverage reports with meson

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add documentation for coverage reports with meson
Date: 2023-03-03 09:10:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 28.02.23 09:49, Michael Paquier wrote:
> - when compiling with GCC, and it requires the <command>gcov</command>
> - and <command>lcov</command> programs.
> + when compiling with GCC, and it requires the <command>gcov</command>,

genhtml is part of the lcov package. I think it would be confusing to
mention it explicitly, since you won't be able to find it as something
to install. Maybe leave the original list and change "programs" to
"packages"?

> - <para>
> - A typical workflow looks like this:
> + <sect2 id="regress-coverage-configure">
> + <para>
> + A typical workflow looks like this:

In the installation chapter we use titles like "Building and
Installation with Autoconf and Make" and "Building and Installation with
Meson". We should use analogous wordings here.

> + <para>
> + A typical workflow looks like this:
> +<screen>
> +meson setup -Db_coverage=true ... OTHER OPTIONS ...
> +ninja
> +meson test
> +ninja coverage-html
> +</screen>
> + Then point your HTML browser
> + to <filename>./meson-logs/coveragereport/index.html</filename>.
> + </para>

This ignores which directory you have to be in. The meson calls have to
be at the top level, the ninja calls have to be in the build directory.
We should be more precise here, otherwise someone trying this will find
that it doesn't work.

Personally I use "meson compile" instead of "ninja"; I'm not sure what
the best recommendation is, but that least that way all the initial
commands are "meson something" instead of going back and forth.