Re: postgres_fdw bug in 9.6

From: Etsuro Fujita <fujita(dot)etsuro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: postgres_fdw bug in 9.6
Date: 2017-01-05 03:10:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2016/12/28 17:34, Ashutosh Bapat wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 1:29 PM, Etsuro Fujita
> <fujita(dot)etsuro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:
>> On 2016/12/28 15:54, Ashutosh Bapat wrote:

>>> All I am requesting is changing the order of conditions. That doesn't
>>> complicate the code.

>> I might have misunderstood your words, but you are saying we should consider
>> mergejoin paths with some mergeclauses in the case where hashclauses is NIL,
>> right? To do so, we would need to consider the sort orders of outer/inner
>> paths, which would make the code complicated.

> Hmm. If I understand the patch correctly, it does not return any path
> when merge join is allowed and there are merge clauses but no hash
> clauses. In this case we will not create a foreign join path, loosing
> some optimization. If we remove GetExistingLocalJoinPath, which
> returns a path in those cases as well, we have a regression in
> performance.

Ok, will revise, but as I mentioned upthread, I'm not sure it's a good
idea to search the pathlist to get a merge join even in this case. I'd
vote for creating a merge join path from the inner/outer paths in this
case as well. I think that would simplify the code as well.

Best regards,
Etsuro Fujita