Re: JIT compiling with LLVM v11

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: JIT compiling with LLVM v11
Date: 2018-03-12 15:21:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 3/11/18 14:25, Andres Freund wrote:
>> It's perhaps a bit confusing that some of the jit_* settings take effect
>> at plan time and some at execution time. At the moment, this mainly
>> affects me reading the code ;-), but it would also have some effect on
>> prepared statements and such.
> Not quite sure what you mean?

I haven't tested this, but what appears to be the case is that

SET jit_above_cost = 0;
PREPARE foo AS SELECT ....;
SET jit_above_cost = infinity;
EXECUTE foo;

will use JIT, because jit_above_cost applies at plan time, whereas

SET jit_expressions = on;
PREPARE foo AS SELECT ....;
SET jit_expressions = off;
EXECUTE foo;

will *not* use JIT, becaue jit_expressions applies at execution time.